The implementation of technology in post-acute and long-term care has lagged behind other healthcare settings for a long time. However, the COVID pandemic put the need to invest in tech front and center, and it’s taken on new urgency.
Before jumping into tech purchases, there are a few questions to consider to ensure successful adoption and implementation:
- What is the return on investment for the technology? What is the timeframe for these results?
- Is the technology viable given the product’s maturity and your organization’s governance?
- What infrastructure changes or additions will be necessary? Do you have necessary bandwidth? Will there be adequate wifi?
- Will the technology transform your organizations brand and give you a competitive advantage?
- How will the technology improve resident satisfaction and lead to move-ins? How will it attract and engage staff?
Of course, no decision about such an investment can be made in a vacuum. Consider surveying staff and even residents about what tech innovations would be most useful and welcome. Then set objectives for evaluating success over time. Conduct check-ins over time and celebrate milestones along the way.