Particularly in a world where a pandemic crisis and a growing reliance on remote work go hand-in-hand, it can be especially challenging for managers to balance work and personal/family responsibilities. A panel at a recent senior living conference suggested some strategies to create and maintain a win-win balance:
- Start your week with a plan that highlights items that are non-negotiable. These ‘must-dos’ can either be essential for your job and the organization or for your own personal goals. Feel free to share these with colleagues so they know what to expect from you.
- Include your loved ones in your weekly plan. Don’t forget birthday celebrations, story time, brunch with mom, or even daily dog walks as you’re planning your week.
- Have a backup plan. Be prepared for the unexpected as much as you can.
- Listen to your inner self. Know when enough is enough, when you are pushing yourself too hard, and when you can challenge yourself further.
- Recognize your team. Engage, empower, and – when appropriate – challenge your team members. Give them the tools and support to succeed.
- Involve your loved ones. For instance, ask your significant other to make your breakfast or pack your lunch. Share inspiring stories from wok with your kids.
- Get enough sleep. This isn’t always easy but look for things you can give up (such as laundry or watching a TV show) that you can give up for an extra hour or so of sleep.