Goal-setting helps employees keep their eye on the prize and focused on the company’s success and their contributions to it. At the same time, it can create deeper employee engagement and establish criteria for performance reviews. Here are some key steps to successful employee goal-setting:
- Set goals that align with company objectives.
- Include employees in setting job-specific goals.
- Make sure goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-based.
- Establish goals that are attainable (don’t set up employees for failure and frustration).
- Make sure goals for employees with similar responsibilities are the same.
- Reward employees who achieve their goals.
- Work closely with employees who fall short.