Work isn’t always consistent and predictable. Instead, it can be “lumpy,” that is, it’s busy one day, slow the next or you have to juggle different tasks at different times. Lumpy workloads can be more challenging to handle because they’re harder to predict and plan for. However, there are a few ways to smooth out these bumps:
- Reorganize the workflow to restructure internal processes and make them more flexible.
- Resist the urge to create busy work during downtimes. Instead, use these as opportunities for training, education, and team building.
- Look for ways to make the workload more predictable. Determine if someone or something in your organization is creating lumpiness.
- Cross-training will enable workers to switch gears and chip in when help is needed in a different area or discipline.
- Consider the benefit of hiring seasonal or temporary workers. Try to plan and budget for these individuals.