Even in times of stress, there is a place for laughter in the workplace. According to a new survey:
- Leaders with any sense of humor are seen as 27% more motivated and admired than those who are viewed as humorless.
- Team members of humorous leaders are 15% more engaged and twice as likely to solve a creative challenge.
- Adding a lighthearted line at the end of a sales pitch can increase customers’ willingness to pay by 18%. Even a bad joke can have a positive impact.
What is the power of humor? Experts say:
- It accelerates a feeling of closeness and trust.
- These enhanced connections drive employee performance.
- Laughter releases chemicals that boost mood and energy.
You don’t have to force humor in the workplace, but sharing a tasteful but funny story, making a cheesy pun, or telling a silly joke can all help ease tensions and enhance teamwork.