You know the stats. Stress contributes to health care costs, absenteeism, unhappy employees, and turnover. You have healthier, more content and productive workers if you give them the skills and tools to fight stress. Try these tips:
- Teach effective coping behaviors, such as eating healthy and practicing good sleep hygiene.
- Teach employees to use cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, such as reframing problems to make them more manageable and conducting root cause analysis to help identify long-term solutions.
- Encourage strong social networks and teamwork.
- Show employees appreciation.
- Model supportive leadership.
- Avoid harsh criticism, lashing out, insults or other words/behaviors that damage self-esteem.