During the riots at the U.S. Capitol last week, one police office had the courage and presence of mind to lead the angry mob away from an area of the building where legislators and their staff were taking cover. It was a clear demonstration of the importance of the ability to keep a cool, clear head in a crisis.
A five-step framework can help you and your teams moving from primal fear and paralysis to level-headed action:
- Understand the biology behind your immediate reaction and what make a concerted effort to shift to a more productive mindset.
- Tune into the physical and emotional cues the situation is triggering for you. This can help you understand and manage your anxiety.
- Recall previous experiences where you’ve felt similar anxiety. What did you learn from those events that can help you now?
- Focus on your highest purpose and what you want/need to accomplish in the moment. This will release oxytocin and help you concentrate.
- Have confidence in the process. Stay connected, quickly weigh your options, and trust your instincts.