Not surprisingly, senior livings leaders are using innovative ideas and flexibility to address staffing issues during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to a McKnight’s survey, companies are compensating for extra shifts/staffing needs by:
- Using retired nurses or aides.
- Using more agency nurses or aides.
- Increasing part-timers’ hours.
- Paying overtime.
- Awarding extra paid time off
- Offering bonus pay/gift cards (or similar rewards)
- Having managers fill in.
Over half (53%) of participants said they are offering overtime pay; 42% sited having managers fill in.