According to a new study, disruptions in workers’ morning routines causes them to be less productive and breaks their focus and concentration. The authors found:
- Morning disruptions cause employees to feel less engaged over the course of the entire day.
- People are less calm and more depleted mentally on days when morning routines are disrupted.
- Because routines automate basic elements of daily life, they help conserve energy that employees can put into achieving goals.
- Establishing and maintaining a morning routine is key to productivity.
- When disruptions are unavoidable, it is important to get back to a routine as soon as possible.