An alarming new study shows that asthma sufferers are missing about one-tenth of work hours due to symptoms. Their illness, these individuals say, not only hurts their productivity but also negatively impacts their emotional wellbeing. Highlights of the study:
- 74% of workers say they are unable to work to their full potential because of their illness
- 42% experience a “prominent” reduction in productivity.
- Workers report feeling “challenged” by their asthma symptoms, as well as the fatigue, mental strain, and weakness caused by the illness.
- Overall, total work productivity dropped by 36% due to asthma.
- Workers report feeling inferior and disadvantaged because of their condition, and over two-thirds say it negatively affects their work activities.
- The authors suggest a solution lies in a coordinated approach by clinicians, employers, and occupational health teams.