The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has published updated guidelines for the workplace after an employee is diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Open windows and leave contaminated areas vacant for 24 hours if you can.
- Follow strict handwashing protocols.
- Serological testing of blood samples might help show which people have already been infected and are presumably immune to the coronavirus.
- As there is no evidence that COVID-19 has been or can be transmitted through the mail, protocols beyond handwashing after handling mail is likely unnecessarily. However, where available, gloves may be worn.
- Decontaminate any high-touch surfaces such as doorknobs and handrails and sterilize pens and other items after each use by a different employee or customer.
- Don’t be concerned about catching the disease from food unless you are seated next to someone who is ill while you’re eating.