Already weak hiring in skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) took a hit last month, and this is being attributed to the impact of the new Patient Driven Payment Model (PDPM):
- The healthcare industry added just 14,600 in October, 61% fewer than in September.
- The ambulatory sector added 7,800 new jobs, down from a preliminary estimate of 18,700 in September.
- Home health added 4,200 jobs in October, down 26% from September.
- Hospitals made 2,100 new hires last month, down about 6,000 from September.
- Community care facilities for the elderly actually added 4,600 jobs, a big change from the loss of 300 positions in September.