A new study suggests that people who show the highest levels of stress also have the least engagement at work. However, there is some good news: The right kind of boss can help reduce stress and boost engagement. Among other highlights of this study:
- The more employees think about COVID-19 related deaths, the more anxious they are and the less engaged they feel.
- Employee anxiety and engagement are influenced by the kind of boss they have.
- Employees feel and work better if their boss exhibits “servant leadership,” prioritizing fulfillment of others’ needs, attention to others’ emotional suffering, efforts to empower workers, and emphasizing community service.
- Workers who rate their supervisors higher on servant leadership show less anxiety and are more engaged with their jobs.
- Servant leaders care about employee well-being and prioritize the personal growth and happiness of their teams.
- Servant leaders help their employees channel their stress into positive behaviors, encourage workers to find meaning in the pandemic, and channel their anxiety into helping others.