COVID-19: Considerations, Strategies and Resources for Crisis Standards of Care in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Facilities, a new report from PALTC experts and insiders, offers some guidance to inform changes to operations and care process that can help providers navigate a crisis such as pandemic. The recommendations include:
- Advance care planning conversations should involve a patient-centered approach.
- Staffing models must account for increased demands and fewer staff members as care level changes from conventional to contingency.
- Standards of care at all levels should adhere to core ethical principles, including fairness, duty to care, and transparency in decision-making.
- Communication with residents and family members is critical to crisis management.
- Emergency preparedness programs consistent with regulatory requirements and national guidelines should be in place.