Diversity is more critical than ever as organizations move through the pandemic. The Times Up Foundation has released a new Guide to Equity and Inclusion During Crisis, which includes several steps leaders can take to model equality and show care during this challenging time:
- Pay attention to the impact management/operations/hiring/policy decisions may have on the diversity of your workforce. Factor this into your decision-making.
- Think about who is in the room when you’re making critical decisions.
- Organize a task force that includes a cross-section of employees at all levels to advocate for and represent the people you employ.
- Be aware of which employees are moved out of “better” spaces, such as further from amenities or less visible to clients, if you must reconfigure your workplace to meet social distancing guidance.
- Commit to include a diverse group if meetings or events are limited in size.
- Understand that every employee is wrestling with distinct challenges during this pandemic, rather than assume you know what they’re going through.
- Recognize that your people’s needs will change as the crisis evolves.
- Show solidarity to your people, especially those on the front lines.
- Make mental health support widely available to all staff.