Employees value diversity, likely more than you realize.
According to the 100 Best Workplaces for Diversity report, diversity, inclusion, and equity are essential to building business value; and they help attract and retain good workers. Read on to see what employees at top companies say about how their employers prioritize diversity.
Here is what some employees at the best workplaces for diversity have to say about why they love their employers:
- “Seeing women in higher roles is encouraging. [There are] a lot of opportunities for individuals who are eager to grow….”
- “I like that there are quite a few women of different nationalities in upper management positions…. I have not seen that in other jobs that I have had.”
- “You are ENCOURAGED to be yourself and bring your WHOLE, TRUE self to work. I am allowed to be myself, be taken seriously, and feel as a valued contributor.”
- “Diversity is embraced and a natural part of how we conduct business. Key word in ‘natural,’ because leadership encourages and expects it. It’s ingrained in the way we operate.”
- “We are owned by a Native American tribe, and our chief is the most wonderful, kind, and generous woman. This is reflected in the way the company is run.”
- “There is a great deal of emphasis on celebrating and embracing diversity. Straight and gay employees (and spouses) are treated the same. I have never been in an organization where LGBTQ Pride Month is celebrated as broadly and openly.”
- “I am extremely proud of our cross-cultural competence & focus on ensuring all employees are supported, regardless of gender, race, orientation, etc.”
- “It’s incredible that we don’t just talk about diversity; we actually implement it and prioritize it in all that we do.”
The report stated that it is important for leaders to craft positive experiences for key employee groups in areas such as inclusivity, innovation, fairness, and integrity. The authors found that such efforts enable organizations to best survive recessions and avoid deep declines during tough times.