What are some of the key leadership lessons from 2020 that can help guide your work in 2021? Some experts suggest the following:
- Lead with empathy. Meet people where they are and look for ways to address their needs and concerns.
- Write a new rulebook. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel but prioritize innovation and new ways of doing things. Seek opportunities to revise and update current processes and policies.
- Get comfortable having uncomfortable conversations. While the post-pandemic future holds promise, there will be tough times ahead as we work to get there. Optimism is important, but so is honesty. Let your teams know what challenges are ahead and how you will work with them to overcome them successfully.
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are more important that ever. These help drive conversations that can lead to strategies for the future. However, don’t count on these to do things that they’re not intended to do, such as educating colleagues and training executives.
- Prepare for what’s ahead with optimism, an open-mind, facts and research, and clear-cut goals and missions. Make sure your organizational culture is aligned with what you seek to accomplish.