A new research study suggests the need for weekly testing of both residents and staff in skilled nursing facilities and assisted living communities to mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- Weekly testing of at least 50% of staff and residents is necessary to minimize outbreaks.
- Testing 100% of people twice weekly may be beneficial when the risk is very high.
- Once a case is diagnosed, more comprehensive testing for both staff and residents should follow.
- More frequent testing may guard against widespread transmission and allow for less stringent confinement measures.
- Frequent testing not only can improve outcomes but ultimately is more cost-effective.