Right now, more than ever, your workers are looking to you for leadership, support, and inspiration. Consider five phrases that you need to use honestly but also frequently:
- “I noticed that you’re really showing up.” When life is busy and chaotic, people can feel invisible. Remind your workers that you see them and that they matter.
- “You really went above and beyond.” Acknowledge when people go that extra mile or make a special sacrifice, such as working extra shifts or taking on tasks outside of their job description to help others.
- “I was really impressed with your work on X.” Let your employees know that you’re paying attention to what they’re doing, especially when they’re juggling home and work responsibilities or facing other struggles.
- “Hey, we’re only human.” Admit your own mistakes and take responsibility. At the same time, be patient and forgiving of others (as possible) and don’t nitpick or have unrealistic expectations.
- “Tomorrow is a new day.” Modeling hope and positivity will help your teams focus more, worry less, and sleep better.
Your ability to share information promptly, effectively, efficiently, and compassionately will help engage your teams, boost and morale and productivity, and enable your organization to thrive while others merely get by.