Being in demand and constantly busy is often associated with success. However, too many demands on your time and energy can lead to burnout, stress, and errors. If you’re constantly or frequently feeling overwhelmed, consider if part of the problem is that you find it hard to say “no,” even when you know that “yes” means taking on too much. Next time, think before you answer:
- Consider what is really involved and how much time and effort it will take.
- Weigh the cost of your answer. How will a “yes” benefit the organization and you?
- Think about what realistically will happen if you say “no.
- Determine if taking this on will serve your mission.
- Consider the possibility of an alternate solution that will get the job done without adding to your stress and time commitments.