In a new study, researchers identified several action steps employers can take to improve workplace age diversity and inclusion. These include:
- Add age to the company’s diversity, equity, and inclusion policy.
- Create an age diverse and inclusive talent strategy that develops all employees’ critical digital and cognitive capabilities, social and emotional skills, and adaptability and resilience.
- Provide opportunities for workers to stay and grow on the job over time.
- Invest in lifelong education and training to ensure that workers remain employable.
- Enforce policies to combat age discrimination and adopt age-inclusive practices.
- Be aware of unconscious biases and disrupt stereotypes across the continuum of age.
- Ensure that recruitment practices are inclusive and that hiring processes are “age-blind.”