Nothing is business as usual anymore, including coaching. But just because life and work are all about crisis, chaos, change, and challenges right now, this doesn’t mean that employee mentoring and engagement has to stop. Instead, effective managers are focusing on:
- Being more caring. They’re keeping their finger on the pulse of employees’ feelings and emotional state without telling them how they “should” feel.
- Being more candid. They’re not withholding or sugarcoating information. They are being transparent while offering support, empowerment, and hope.
- Being constructive. They keep conversations relevant, targeted, and enlightening.
To be the leader your workers need right now:
- Provide continuous feedback and communication.
- Ask more than tell. Seek input from employees and listen.
- Have a process to help with decision-making.