We have suspected it, but a new survey confirms that the pandemic has had a negative impact on long-standing workforce issues in senior living and long-term care. Among the key findings:
- 67% of industry professionals surveyed say that finding and hiring quality job candidates is the top workforce issue moving into 2021.
- 57% of respondents identify employee turnover as their top concern.
- Twice as many respondents in 2020, compared to 2019, cite staffing to meet resident care needs and managing excess labor costs as top workforce challenges.
- 74% report difficulties with consistently filling shifts, with 33% saying that some shifts do not have enough staff despite their best efforts.
- 71% of respondents say that finding qualified employees will still be problematic or even worsen next year, while 68% say the same thing of managing labor costs and 65% about retaining employees.