Checking references seems like a no-brain. However, there actually are some pros and cons to this.
Some of the pros:
- It provides a defense in the event of a negligent hiring claim.
- It offers some perspective on the job candidate from someone who knows the person and his or work habits.
- It can help you uncover any exaggerations or embellishments on the person’s resume.
- A well-prepared candidate isn’t going to refer you to someone who will speak positively.
- References can lie, exaggerate, or leave out information.
- References can be inaccurate, such as the person wasn’t really the candidate’s direct boss.
- The job candidate may be hesitant to give you permission to contact his or her current employer because no one there knows he or she is job hunting.