Lack of appreciation is among the top reasons people leave their jobs. So what would be a better time to show some appreciation than Thanksgiving? There are many ways to say ‘thank you’ to your employees. Start with these:
- Give employees time off. If you can’t let them have Thanksgiving day off, consider giving them the option of taking another day or half-day off.
- Deliver personalized ‘thank you’ cards. You can mail them or leave them at workers’ desks or stations, but they need to be personal and heartfelt, not scripted and the same for everyone.
- Start a gratitude Slack thread. Give team members a way to express and share their gratitude for things both big and small.
- Say ‘thanks’ via social media. Spotlight teams and team members and what is great about them. Involve them by asking them to submit photos or comments.
- Create a ‘gratitude wall’ where employees can stick post-it notes with their messages of appreciation for each other.
- Announce a commitment to making a social impact. Kick off a charitable campaign or announce a pro bono project.
Other ideas include swapping recipes, volunteering as a group, offering free meals or treats, and finding ways to make those working over the holiday weekend feel comfortable and appreciated.