Your days and nights are different now than you ever could have imagined. You are working with remote teams, using videoconferencing and other technology more, and you’re working around the clock as one day blurs into the next. With everything that’s happening, it is important to make sure you’re being the leader your teams need right now. Here are five behaviors to model:
- Your workers are under a great deal of stress and pressure. Make sure they know you’re on their side. Realize they are juggling work, families, homeschooling, making meals, and keeping their homes clean and comfortable. Try to be understanding if kids interrupt a meeting; and avoid (if possible) late night and early morning calls. Triage projects/activities and extend deadlines where you can. Don’t bother workers on the weekends unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Connect in a variety of ways including videoconferencing, phone calls, emails, and texts. Make sure remote workers have the technology they need to do their jobs.
- Have faith in your employees that they are doing their best during a difficult situation. If there are problems or issues, avoid blame and seek solutions.
- Address questions and concerns promptly. Don’t let situations fester or go unresolved.
- Your positive attitude and confidence will help inspire others. Without being unrealistic, try to help your teams see the light at the end of the tunnel. Remind them of the good things they are accomplishing.