How can you win praise and loyalty from your employees? Consider these qualities that Fortune’s 100 best companies to work for have in common:
- They take values seriously. Employees are rewarded for living and modeling company values. They even may have a hand in developing or refining them.
- Communication rules and is multi-faceted and multidirectional. It’s formal and informal. Leaders talk candidly with employees about what’s happening.
- Compensation is fair and inclusive. They offer competitive salaries and make pay policies transparent.
- They create a culture of recognition. Managers are expected to thank their employees for their hard work on a regular basis.
- They make training and development a regular part of work so that employees can see a clear path for advancement.
- They really enable a work-life balance. Flexible work schedules are par for the course. They best companies also ensure reasonable workloads, where long hours and weekend work are the exception and not the rule.