Politics in the workplace are causing concern, controversy, and conflict. According to a new survey:
- Over a third (36%) of employees say the 2020 U.S. presidential election has them avoiding conversations with their colleagues because of their political views.
- 26% of respondents say that the election has had a moderate or big impact on their ability to do their jobs.
- 33% of employees report that the 2020 U.S. presidential election has led them to spend more time seeking political news at work.
- 31% who say they talk politics at work report that these conversations are frustrating or stressful.
- At organizations that have political expression policies, over 75% of employees agree with this guidance.
According to the survey authors, HR leaders should work to ensure that employee emotions and behaviors related to politics don’t distract and/or disengage the workforce or create a hostile work environment.